Focused Technical Projects
ROS is of great value and almost immediate applicability for service robotics: in fact, the overwhelming majority of today’s service robots run on ROS. ROS-Industrial aims to transfer this value and the ease of application to industrial hardware, by developing new components, improving existing ones, but also by performing non-development work such as compiling usage and development guidelines or performing license audits.
The bigger the ROS-Industrial community and the higher its engagement in actively using and further developing it, the more business-relevant and hence successful the platform will be. For this reason, a considerable part of ROSIN’s budget (3+ Million EUR) is reserved for co-financing Focused Technical Projects (FTPs): you identify what you need to develop for your ROS application and outline a technically sound plan to achieve it. If successfully evaluated, you receive 33% of the total cost to perform the work, provided that you commit to sustain the remaining 67%.
What does the process look like?
We provide two benefits to the community thanks to ROSIN funding: the possibility to have part of their project’s cost financed, and technical shepherding to ensure that the infrastructure that they build fits within the bigger ROS and ROS-Industrial picture.
Get the funding
- If successfully evaluated, your application will enter negotiation phase
- A legal contract will be stipulated and signed
- A first portion of the ROSIN co-financing will be transfered
- During the development of your FTP, continuous monitoring will be performed by ROSIN partners
- This not only ensures a timely and within budget completion of your project, but it is also a chance to receive guidance
Have your code merged into ROS
- Once the project is over, the ROSIN technical leads will merge it appropriately in the ROS and ROS-Industrial codebases
- A report on the FTP will highlight its technical features, to further promote reuse across the community